Sunday 3 August 2014

MY Top Five TED Talk Recommendations

TED TALKS (TECHNOLOGY, ENTERTAINMENT, DESIGN)
I'm being kept pretty busy with some more detailed posts at the moment, but here's some TED talks I think everyone should watch. I really enjoy TED talks, I find them entertaining, educational, and often eye-opening. I'd like to share what I consider to be some of the best TED talks to date. They will make you think, laugh, and shake your head in disbelief. Most importantly, they will all leave you wanting more. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

MICHAEL SHERMER - SKEPTICISM
Michael Shermer is well known in skeptical circles. I've heard him speak a few times, and I've always liked what he has to say. Here he is talking about why people believe strange things. He also has a book of the same title that's worth reading and is a regular writer at Skeptic.com

LINK: Michael Shermer TED
DESCRIPTION:
"Why do people see the Virgin Mary on a cheese sandwich or hear demonic lyrics in "Stairway to Heaven"? Using video and music, skeptic Michael Shermer shows how we convince ourselves to believe and overlook the facts"

PAUL ROOT WOLPE - BIOENGINERING
Paul Root Wolpe is a bioethicist, with a background in sociology/psychology. Here he his talking about genetic modification. Even as a biologist used to hearing about the power of genetics, I was blown away when I first watched this talk. I enjoy it less for the bioethical concerns he raises, and more for the advances in technology he highlights during his talk.

LINK: Paul Root Wolpe TED
DESCRIPTION
"Bioethicist Paul Root Wolpe describes an astonishing series of recent bio-engineering experiments, from glowing dogs to mice that grow human ears. He asks: Isn't it time to set some ground rules?"

MALCOLM GLADWELL - PSYCHOLOGY OF CHOICE
Malcolm Gladwell is a superb speaker. He brings you on a journey rich in historical context all the while educating and informing. You will not want his talks to end, but you will want to hear the conclusion to his stories. This talk on spaghetti sauce/choice, is one of all time favourite TED talks.

LINK: Malcolm Gladwell TED
DESCRIPTION:
"Tipping Point author Malcolm Gladwell gets inside the food industry's pursuit of the perfect spaghetti sauce and makes a larger argument about the nature of choice and happiness"

SHAWN ACHOR - THE PSYCHOLOGY OF HAPPINESS
This is a funny and thought provoking talk about positive psychology, and how happiness leads to success, rather than the other way around.
DESCRIPTION:
We believe that we should work to be happy, but could that be backwards? In this fast-moving and entertaining talk, psychologist Shawn Achor argues that actually happiness inspires productivity.


JON RONSON - THE PSYCOPATH TEST
An incredibly enlightening talk about the nature of psychopathy. This talk is a fascinating insight into the diagnosis and "treatment" of this disease, presented in a sensitive but hard hitting way.
DESCRIPTION:
"Is there a definitive line that divides crazy from sane? With a hair-raising delivery, Jon Ronson, author of The Psychopath Test, illuminates the gray areas between the two"


CONCLUSION
So there you have it, what better way to spend a Sunday. If you have any talks you would like to share, please feel free to post them in the comments section below. I look forward to watching them.

ADDITIONAL TALKS OF INTEREST

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping you've also read Ronson's "The Psychopath Test", one of my favourite of his books and the whole tale around how he came to be interested in the topic is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Dave, I was sure I replied to this back in August. Yes, I read the psychopath test, and it's excellent. I stumbled upon this talk before reading the book. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy some of the other posts.

    ReplyDelete